Some say I’m the best witch hunter of the Second Prohibition. Maybe I am. I bagged and sent 18 bona fides to burn like Edison bulbs in Sing Sing. J. Edgar told my chief, in private, that me and my partner, Crossan were the best men in the Bureau. I’m at Communion 6:00 AM every goddamn morning. You could ring the church bells by me. But I’m a fraud, and proof positive that God isn’t Love. God is Irony. ("Semele's Daughter," Broken Time Blues: Speculative Tales of the Roaring '20s)
- I am a 2010 Clarion West grad.
- I spent seven years growing up in Japan, and three near Athens.
- I spontaneously organized all my books by color one weekend. (see my profile pic)
- I've reverently handled the cremated bones of my grampa with chopsticks, and I dressed a family member's body in preparation for burial.
- I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail someday. And Shikoku's 88-temple pilgrimage circuit.
- My favorite places on earth are the Olympic Rainforest, Sasebo, Manhattan, and Powell's Books.
- In high school, I wanted to be Isaac Asimov and Carl Sagan when I grew up.
- My partner, Tracie Welser, is also a Clarion West grad and is also participating in this Write-a-thon.
My online presence:
- "Forbidden Feast at the Armageddon Cafe," Rigor Amortis, Edge Publishing, 2010, and Pseudopod Horror Podcast
- "Semele's Daughter," Broken Time Blues: Speculative Tales of the Roaring '20s, Edge Publishing
- "Traitors and Tyrants: A Wives of Erasmus Adventure," a comic illustrated by Galen Dara, Monsters and Mormons anthology
I write a lot about religion, sex, and death. My style ranges from magic realism to near future SF to dark fantasy to horror. I've written a love story about a mushroom reanimator, a steampunk tale set in Japan starring a graffiti-writing octopus, and a flash piece about zombie foodies. I'm currently working on a story of a slow alien invasion, another one about a Japanese teen necromantic shaman, and a steampunk novel set in Japan, Bolivia, and a late 19th Century North America that would not look very familiar to us.
Mainly, I plan to start writing regularly again, but here are my specific goals:
1. I will write a draft of a new short story.
2. I will rewrite one fantasy and one SF story.
3. I will submit three stories to pro markets.
4. I will complete four pages of scripts for a graphic novel.
5. I will complete 5000 words towards my novel.
What I'd really like is for someone to sponsor me either by certain amount per word count, or a certain amount for each goal met. I will send a book (Cherie Priest, signed John Joseph Adams, my own Rigor Amortis, etc.) to each person who donates $10 or more.