Students attending Clarion West incur expenses for tuition, housing and food, travel, and so on; scholarship programs are available to help defray these costs.
- The Octavia E. Butler Memorial Scholarship, which covers tuition and housing, is awarded by the Carl Brandon Society to a single student of color.
- The Susan C. Petrey Scholarship, which covers tuition, is awarded to a single student.
- A full tuition and housing scholarship is offered annually in memory of Elliot Alexander.
- A full tuition and housing scholarship is offered annually in memory of Clarion West alumnus Michael Alexander.
- A full tuition and housing scholarship is offered annually by a Clarion West graduate.
- A partial tuition scholarship, supported by the Midwestern SF community in honor of the memory of Gordon R. Dickson, is available.
- Students from the New York metropolitan area are eligible for assistance from the Donald A. and Elsie B. Wollheim Memorial Scholarship Fund, sponsored by New York Science Fiction Society/The Lunarians, Inc.
- Clarion West’s supporters also fund a tuition-scholarship program (via auctions and individual donations) to assist other students in need. Funds are limited and typically cover about a quarter to a third of the recipients’ tuition.
- Additionally, assistance is available for students with special needs to remove physical barriers to their participation in the workshop, thanks to ReadAssist.
To apply for scholarship assistance from Clarion West, download and print out the scholarship form, complete it, and submit it with your application materials by the workshop session's application deadline. You can also request a scholarship form via email, phone call, or letter.
Do not submit the form via email; keep it with your manuscript.
All information you submit will be kept confidential and will be shredded.
Your application for scholarship funds will not affect whether or not you are accepted into the workshop. Any student needing financial assistance to attend the workshop may apply.