Executive Director Position
You can download and print a PDF of the information and application instructions that appear below here.
Executive Director Job Announcement
The Clarion West Writers Workshop, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Seattle, Washington, is seeking a part-time Executive Director.
We're looking for...
An Executive Director with demonstrated fundraising and leadership ability who will embrace the Clarion West culture of collaboration and teamwork, and support our staff, volunteers, and board of directors in nurturing the workshop and sustaining the organization.
The Executive Director does not directly manage the workshop; we're looking for a leader and manager for the organizational structure that promotes and sustains the workshop and the extended community of alumni, donors, supporters, and industry professionals.
This is a paid part-time job estimated at 500 hours per year. Although the workshop is held in summer, the Executive Director has year-round duties and responsibilities. The position is based in Seattle.
• Lead fundraising and development operations.
• Manage Clarion West staff (with Workshop Director, Communications Director, and Office Manager as direct reports).
• Ensure that all workshop, fundraising, communication, and administrative activities run smoothly and meet the goals set by the Board of Directors.
Leadership and management
• Recruit, hire, manage, and evaluate office, workshop, and communication staff. Ensure adequate volunteer support.
• Demonstrate sound human resource practices, commitment to diversity, and timely response to staff requests.
• Ensure that all operations meet the goals set by the Board of Directors.
• Ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
• Oversee maintenance of official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
• Plan and oversee the execution of fundraising, development, and alumni relations operations.
• Develop program, organizational, and financial plans as requested by the board, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
• Act as the interface between the Board of Directors and the rest of the organization, seeing that the Board is fully informed on the condition of the organization.
• Work with the Board of Directors to assure that the organization has a long-range strategy for its survival and improvement, toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
• In concert with the Workshop Director and Communications Director, maintain and support sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with speculative fiction community groups and other relevant organizations.
• In concert with the Workshop Director and Communications Director, maintain overview of developments in the speculative fiction field and in the area of writers’ workshops.
• Ensure that all Clarion West staff and board members work together to represent Clarion West programs and the point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, media, and the general public.
• A proven ability to create fundraising strategies and process; manage fundraising operations; and raise funds from a range of sources.
• A proven ability to lead, support, and mentor staff with integrity, enthusiasm, an emphasis on collaboration, and a commitment to results.
• Excellent communication, listening, and relationship-building skills.
• A minimum of four years of management and supervisory experience.
• Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Knowledge of nonprofit board structures and principles of governance.
• The ability to work a flexible schedule.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information (phone and email) for three professional references. Submit your materials electronically, in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format, to:
Clarion West Board Chair
We will begin reviewing applications on April 21, 2010.
The position will remain open until filled.
If you have questions...
Please contact Kelley Eskridge, Clarion West Board Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.